Style Profile Assessment

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Schizophrenic...the Weather that is :-/

The great state of Texas...once again the weather makes a fool of some of your inhabitants. Unpredictable, to say the least! One of the interesting sights I had the pleasure of partaking in (while waiting for the train)...a young lady in a floral print sundress, a strappy-sandal, and a light jacket (3/4 sleeve). There was no problem with the outfit itself, but in the context of the weather (a low 50 degrees Fahrenheit, with a brisk wind), I dare say it was out of place. My thoughts: if I'm shivering (even with my peacoat, gloves, boots, and footies), she must be freezing! Although she didn't seem to be as preoccupied with the weather as I was, I couldn't help but wonder if she had bothered to look at the weather forecast...there had to be some reasonable and rational explanation.

On the other hand, it's just as likely that the clothes that seemed suitable for the morning weather are all of a sudden too warm. What should you do? How do you dress in such unpredictable and unreliable weather?

My suggestion...layers! Instead of wearing a pullover sweater, grab a cardigan. I love my boyfriend cardigan from Express...it's a comfortable fit, plus you can wear it with a t-shirt, a button down, or a dressy blouse. 


Blazers are another great solution for unpredictable weather. As a matter of fact, I am wearing one now...it's my mom's navy Chaps blazer with gold buttons (similar to the one pictured below - which is from J Crew). I decided to wear a sky blue button down (from Express) under it.


A typical outfit for me (around this time) is a blazer (or cardigan) with a cute top (like a loose-fitted blouse), skinny jeans and a pair of boots. I have a wide variety of each of these items, so needless to say I can never tire of this combination...I can wear this outfit whether I'm heading into the office or just hanging out with friends. Today I'm wearing a pair of khaki-colored jean leggings (from Express...starting to see a pattern?). :) I tend to stay away from open-toed shoes in this weather, so I'll usually grab a cute pair of flats, close-toed heels, or boots. Like today, I decided to wear my neutral pointed-toe flat (from Express).


I'm also a big fan of scarves...they offer both warmth and an extra bit of flair to almost any outfit. If you're wondering whether or not I'm wearing a scarf...the answer is yes (unfortunately, I cannot recall where I bought it from)! I'm wearing an orange and leopard print scarf. I thought the earth tones would complement my neutral-colored pants and flats.


Another one of my favorite outfits in this weather? Try wearing a jumpsuit, instead of a dress...and add a blazer (or cardigan) and waist belt for even more pizazz! I bought all of my jumpsuits online from Body Central. I love wearing this taupe harem jumpsuit with my glitter waist belt from Express and my black boyfriend cardigan (and sometimes a scarf). Plus I have these really cute ruffle ankle boots (from Charlotte Russe - a few years ago) that I like to throw on with this outfit.




Hopefully I will be posting pics of my outfits soon, so come back & check them out!

What's the weather like where you guys are? How do you decide what to wear with the unpredictable weather? I'd love to hear your thoughts!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post :)
~Alexis

4 comments:

Simona said...

Amazing items Alexis! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking the time to check out my blog!!

~Alexis

Unknown said...

I love the nude flats you selected. I've been on the look for the perfect pair for quite a while! :) I just found your cute blog and started following. Stop by sometime and enter my 50$ Shabby Apple coupon giveaway :D
xo
Dora
http://adropofindigo.blogspot.ca/2013/03/50-shabby-apple-coupon-giveaway-for-us.html

Unknown said...

thank you for leaving a comment on my latest post. I love the pumps you got there. :)